Sunday 9 February 2014

Holy Cowsh!
Wow where do I start. travelling in india is not a laze on the beach or a walk in the park. Surrounded by colour and noise and people and motorbikes and cows and dogs and the consequent underfoot landmines and Tuk-tuks and smells and flavours, it is an assault on the senses that most Westerners find overwhelming, and I'm no exception. I got a mosquito sting on the eyelid last night, and with eye half- closed, I was tempted to hang a sign around my neck and go begging for money for an operation. However, I would be competing with all the others with a lifetime of experience, and wouldn't have a chance. So I, and Paul and Niall and Lucy, headed out to cooking classes, and we all learnt a lot. Our teacher was multi-tasking, taking calls every few minutes relating to his probably multiple other businesses, but still kept us learning and cooking for 2hrs, AND we had an excellent lunch into the bargain. There was a girl's school nearby and we were serenaded with chants and prayers in the background. Then we were led down to his Spice Shop and offered a selection of spice related items, with a surprisingly soft-sell approach. Cynics might remark  that it was after a good lunch, but most traders here are just trying to make a living in the face of huge competition. Fools will be exploited mercilessly, but sent on their way with a prayer to get smarter. I am constantly reminded in this country they do more with less.

1 comment:

  1. It definitely sounds like a whole life's worth of sounds, sights, smells & tastes. It must be quite the culture shock. Good idea I think to leave the panhandling to the experts!!

    Don't get lost over there, stay close to everyone else. Enjoy.

    Derek

    ReplyDelete